Once upon a time (when I was a very young and delusional young mother) there were several things I said I would NEVER (or always) do.
-my kids would NEVER wear liscenced superhero or character T-shirts
-my kids wouldn't go a day without brushing their teeth
-my daughter should always have her hair "just so". matching bow included.
-my kids would NEVER behave like little turds in front of my friends
-I would never become one of those "bedraggled looking" moms I saw with 3 or 4 kids hanging off of them, the horror!
-I would faithfully wash my sheets EVERY week, ha!
Funny how time changes, or, wears you down. Humbles you. Wakes you up to reality a bit. Makes you less judgy of the mom who's kids nails CLEARLY need to be clipped. Who's kid looks like there's syrup in his/her hair...jelly? hair gel?
I swore that by this point in our marriage, my house would look like a Pottery Barn catalog. Guess what? Kids dont give a flying fig about their bathroom having a 'nantucket' feel. Surfing penguins....cool mom! And when their little faces shine when they don that Captain America t-shirt, you get over that illusion you had of your boys ONLY wearing polos and seersucker shorts.
If this works for you, and your kids, super! I just found that I was driving myself nuts over this stuff.
So what? WHo cares? Ask yourself...am I a good friend? do my kids know I love them? do I have fun and laugh at life, and myself?
Note to self...get over it, and NEVER say NEVER!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




12 comments:
This made me laugh so hard! You should become a writer Kellie! Thanks for the much needed reality check!!!!
Hum, I've never had those expectations. Guess I was doomed from the get-go.
All of the above is true! I laughed so hard...I love it!!!
I am still picky about superhero shirts - but we're pretty much out of that stage so aside from a vintage superman t-shirt I think we're good. It's the character tennis shoes that I just could never do. I once bought Jackson some blues clues shoes but they were a blue skate shoe with a tiny blue on them. Yes, my children are deprived. Of course Jordan comes up with some wild outfits but now I'm just going to say she's "quirky" or "original" that works right?
....note to self: trim Jared's nails when he gets home from school.
Okay..I will admit that my kids aren't allowed to wear character shoes...but that's because there's nothing worse than, say, ripped up spiderman shoes that once lit up
I'm with Ashlie. I never had any grand visions of how put-together my kids would be. Maybe that's because I'm NEVER put together myself.
Did you need a Carl's Jr fix last night? Man, you bailed out of that car like your hair was on fire! (We were in the drive-thru!)
P.S.-Due West is a country group that performed in Tucson last night. They are AMAZING!!! Look 'em up, you'll love 'em!
I love you so much Kellie! I almost wet my pants laughing!
I realize now that I'm just doing my best and so is everybody else. It makes life much more enjoyable!
Kris...I had to pee really bad and had eaited tooooo long!
I think we had the same rules?
I broke down and bought Dora PJ's a few years back. Paige was heartbroken when she outgrew them. Sheets get washed, maybe every 3 weeks? (except Trey because boys are great at peeing all night). And the whole Pottery Barn thing... a girl can dream? But, I gave up looking at the catalogs because they just made me depressed.
I love your cute Blog. You make me laugh. I agree with everything all the way to the Shoes, I have to add light up shoes. My husband and I will not spen $$ on those.
Looking back on it, I almost feel bad that we didn't buy Nathan a Thomas the Train shirt. Oh how he loved those trains!! Nathan was dressed just as I wanted him to be. Like a little adult. Hannah came and we were still really good. In fact, I think the first Disney thing we had was a princess night gown when she was about 3. Then, we bought Dora slippers for her 4th birthday. Then came Isaac. Whatever, I'm over it. Like the others, I swore never to let them wear charecter shoes. Look at my 6 year old's feet today and you will see light up Transformer shoes. His shirt, Avatar. His pajamas, Power Rangers. I don't actually encourage the purchase, but if the kids really want them and will actually wear them,(and they are on sale) I buy them. As for Hannah's hair, I gave up on the cute hair styles when she was 4 and wanted to do her own. She cried any time I tried to help. Now, I just "do it wrong". Who new you could mess up just combing down bed hair.
Sadly so these are still some of my no-no's. I am a LOT more relaxed about them though than I used to be. Hey, I'm the girl who used to write down what she wore each day so as not to repeat too often, who spaced her hangers evenly apart, who numbered socks so they'd wear out at the same time. You'd be proud of me...just this year I decided not to fold my undergarments anymore!
The only time any of my children had character anything was when I was in the hospital having my 2nd child and my husband bought my daughter Toy Story light-up tennies...surprisingly, they got "lost" somewhere.
Post a Comment