Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I have got a traveling case of the Heebie-Jeebies!


Okay, so I know we live in the desert, so it shouldn't be suprising to see one of these here rattlesnakes just mosey-ing across the road. But it is a super-mondo big deal when I just dropped my kid off just a half a mile away!
The other day, the kids found a GIANT brown recluse in the pantry. "Mom there is a spider in the pantry, come down quick!" I came down, and what the freakin' heck! This spider was HUGE, the body was like 1". I am so scared of them, our neighbor, Kyle, almost lost his leg because of a brown recluse bite. I usually spray bugs with Windex, but this jerk of a spider crawled into one of my sweet Jordan's innocent DC shoes, UGH! I had to transport said shoe outside with tongs, and bang it on the table so I could smash it.
When we lived in Idaho, and I was laying in bed, I felt something on my arm, and flung my arm. When I turned on the light, to my horror, it was a hobo spider, the brown recluse' cousin. On the Heebie-Jeebie scale, a ten for sure!
I have recently spied black widows at the perimeter of the house. The best time to spray them is at sunset, when they come out of the cracks. I sware I could her them screaming when I spray them, possible? or is just the heebie-jeebies talking?!
You can't drive around Vail without a major case of the HJ's. I am not sure which is grosser, a real snake crossing the road, or one of the gazillion dead, smushed ones. Bleh!!!!! Do I think lizards are fun and cute? no way. Ladybugs even register at the bottom of the scale for me...
I grew up in Los Angeles County. I had never seen rabbits, snakes, or for goodness sakes, wild pigs.....ever! We just had to steer clear of the crazy guy with mayonaise in his hair that used to bike around the block everyday!

And now I have a case of the phantom heebie-jeebies just writing this!

5 comments:

kidding...right? said...

This made me laugh! We've been missing Arizona, but I'm not missing it so much after that!

Mindi said...

Now I have the Heebie Jeebies...yikes!! I ran over a snake yesterday and then I almost wrecked because I screamed and jerked the steering wheel. Thank goodness my kids were not in the car and no other car was coming the other direction. I keep telling my kids we have to keep the house clean so we can see scorpions. I shouldn't have to say that!! So far,everything I've seen in my house has been dead. This is why I am on a first-name basis with my bug guy! Oh, and there is a hole dug under the trampoline. Justin swears it is a bunny hole. I only imagine monster snakes and tarantulas crawling out of it! Now I must go shake out all my clothes and hair, thanks Kellie!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya sister! After dealing with scorpions, spiders, snakes and crazy heat, we have decided to move the first chance we get!

Stefanie said...

Ooooops! I didn't mean to post as anonymous! That's even creepier than mayonaise guy.

tracy said...

Just reading your post gave me the creepy-crawley-heebie-jeebies! Just this week I saw something unusual in the toilet (most things in there are unusual and gross)but I lifted the seat, and under the rim of the bowl was the BIGGEST spider I've seen! Can you imagine that honker clinging onto your buns as you sat to take a pee!!!?? Oh my gosh.