Monday, December 20, 2010

Baxter Christmas's

Thats me!


Matthew and the "troll tree"



My parents may say that we didn't have much growing up, but us kids never felt it.
When we lived in Norwalk (just outside of LA), we had a little house with a big picture window that my mom would paint on birthdays and Christmas. I thought my mom was the best, and the most talented artist, and who doesn't love Snoopy and the little Woodstocks on their house?
Because my mom is so laid back, one year we noticed that in place of the angel or star, there was a Troll doll (remember when those were so popular? man, we were dumb!) And so, she just let us keep it there. We ALL remember the Troll doll tree, good times.
As a mom, it's only NOW that I realize all the hard work that mom's put in to make the holiday special. From the shopping, cleaning and cooking, its no small feat to create Christmas. But my mom did it all, and I am so thankful.
I also remember that my mom forgot to take our chocolate candy filled stockings down before starting a fire the fireplace...quite the chocolatey mess!
I also remember my mom and dad riding scooters Christmas morning, and playing with Skeletors castle and a Barbie RV...

My dad always waited until Christmas Eve to shop for my mom, and I thought I was the center of the universe to have him all to myself for one night. Because, in a litle girls eyes, her dad is the MOST important man to ever live, and I even remember thinking then as a little girl....

"my dad really must love my mom". That is just about the best gift he could ever give me.

So, thanks mom and dad for making Christmas special for all of us crazy kids!


2 comments:

stacey said...

Thanks for sharing Kellie- parents are the best!

You brought back many fun Christmas morning memories I got to share with my family (especially my daddy - boy I miss him)

Mindi said...

I love the troll doll. That is so funny. I remember skeletor's castle!! We had many good fights with the one in our house:) I loved reading about your special day out with dad. What a neat thing for you and him. I'm sure he remembers those times as well as you do. You are definitely showing your kids the fun and love that your mom showed you. I'm sure they will have some pretty awesome memories themselves!