
...travel down the road and back again, your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant....''
(doesn't everyone know the words to that song, or was I the only 11 year old watching a show about sassy seniors and their busy lives...)
I was a pretty cool adolescent.
My family has joined the YMCA here in Tucson. Shayne needs the laps for swimming, and I really need to exercise indoors. I come home with massive, pounding headaches and bad heat rashes from the summer heat, so I needed an indoor alternative.
I decided to attend the water aerobics class. When I showed up, I am pretty sure that I would have been the only one with my original hips and teeth, so I opted out.
Then, Andrea W. decided she would come along and try a "Total Body" class with me. After 15 minutes, and rolling our heads for a minimun of 6 times, stifling a laugh for me, became too much. After all, we had kids in the day care, and need to burn like 10, 000 calories in the hour that we had.
I told Andrea that she could be Blanche and I would be Dorothy. I have always felt like the Dorothy...not the biggest looker, but with a healthy sense of humor.
But then again, Sophia was my favorite.
Blanche: Dorothy, what do you think I oughta do with my bed?
Dorothy: Put it in the Smithsonian, Blanche. Its got more miles on it than the Spirit of St. Louis!
"and if you threw a party, invited everyone you knew, you would see the biggest gift would from me, and the card attached would say, thank you for being a friend...."




7 comments:
I knew it was off to a bad start when we walked laps around the room as a warm-up... and of course I couldn't even look into the mirror because I might die laughing while doing one more "relaxing breath".
Maybe we should've turned around when we saw the older lady in the back in her regular clothes and tennies?
If I remember correctly, Blanche was quite the player. Not sure if that fits. ;)
I loved that show! My brother and I have emailed eachother on each of the days that one of them have died and have morned them. I started singing the song as your page was opening up. I'm glad you didn't say you felt like you were Blanche:) I would sure have loved to have been in the room with you to watch you and Andrea try and not roll on the floor with laughter. I hope you can find another class or exercise that will be good for you!
I was definitely a Golden Girls fan. Looking back, I can figure out why that appealed to me. Anyway, Dorothy was my favorite. I loved her sarcasm.
Okay, so Andrea really ISN'T a Blanche...maybe a Dorothy, with a pinch of Sophia.
I am probably a Rose with a pinch of Dorothy...
I hope to be as kickin as Blanche though in my older days...
What? Nobody wants to be Rose?
I took a water aerobics class once and I'm sure most of those women had swimsuits on that were older than me.
Loooooove me some Golden Girls. Pair them with Designing Women and you've got some great tv!
I'm here for ya sister. You can call me when the unicorns have gone and all that is good has fallen on the floor with your broken pyrex. :) ...love you. Glad you are feeling better this week. Hoo-rah for cleaning out the garage, that is exactly what my plans are for this evening.
Post a Comment