Friday, July 23, 2010

Flartskies, Diamonds and Tears: Life on a Treadmill

I am trying to make good on the goal I set about going to the gym once the kids started school.
Three times this week, pretty good so far.
I start out on the eliptical, then make myself run a mile on the treadmill.

Diamonds-My friend, Laura, pointed out that when I exercise, I am usually wearing diamond earrings and necklace. I guess I never thought about it, but, from the girl who would describe her hair as 'jersey-lite', its that only appropriate.
Flartskies- Everyone flarts. I am sorry. Even pretty, teeny weeny cute girls let one rip every so often. And exercise makes your body all warm and loose. I think I flarted once (I was listening to my Ipod, and therefore, if I can't hear it, it didn't happen) because the lady behind me laughed. Woopsie!
Tears-I have gotten choked up listening to songs while exercising. For example, my favorite song of all time is 'Small Wonders' by Rob Thomas

Let it go, let it roll right off your shoulder
Don?t you know the hardest part is over?
Let it in, let your clarity define you
In the end we will only just remember how it feels
Our lives are made in these small hours
These little wonders, these twists and turns of fate
Time falls away but these small hours
These small hours still remain

So, I am listening to this, pre-pre menstral, last kid off to first grade...choked up.
ALthough, I was sweating pretty fierce, so I don't think anyone noticed.

Time on the treadmill or eliptical gives you time to think, plan, dream, worry, remember.
I think: man I love Sara Bareilles, my underwear is all crazy, did I just flart?, I hope I lose weight today, gotta plan music time, oh crap, whats for dinner....

In the end, I am glad that phase of my life affords me the flexibility to go workout. I totally remember the days of pushing a double stroller in Kentucky heat, picking up toys every 5 feet.
So, here's to diamonds, tears, and a few flartskies too!

5 comments:

Anna Marks said...

You are too funny! I cry all the time when I'm listening to music while exercising. "One moment in Time" by Whitney Houston gets me every time. And recently (hold on to your seat), "The Climb" by Miley Cirus. Love you Kellie, you always keep it real!

Mindi said...

I love this post. I can totally identify on everything but the diamonds. I accidentally left on my earings a couple weeks ago while running in Idaho and it drove me crazy. My only jewlry is my Garmin. Come with us and you will know that we definitely all have our flarting moments:) Especially when Nicole has had chile the night before, or me popcorn, or Melody mexican or...oh man, too many to keep track;) I cry when I run too. Usually, it is not the music, it is just me having conversations in my head or thinking about things. I have even cried when I am at the end of a really hard workout and "We are the Champions" comes on my ipod. Then I know I am almost done and I did it! Great job on the three days at the gym!

stacey said...

Kelly, you make me laugh! You really do need to come running with us. I think it was a few months ago when Mindi commented on hearing me "flart" for the first time. I laughed because I'd done it many, many times before but was usually in the back of the pack where no one notices.
I'm with Mindi on the jewelry. I don't want it on when I'm running.

Angie said...

Thanks for making me smile! I agree w/ Anna about how you always keep it real! That's why everyone loves you!

Ashlie said...

Very funny. At least you're running on a treadmill! It feels like some kind of cruel torture to me and I hate that "in a bubble" feeling after wards.

By the way, you rock as a primary chorister. Just had to throw that in there.