Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Kellie-defined

The other day, I was watching a show on TV that follows an overweight family as they work on getting healthier. The show is called One Big Happy Family, and it is funny, and thought provoking. The 16 year old daughter said this "I have perfected the big girl, being anything other than that is scary".
Whoa. Did she read my mind? I have perfected my "big girl" every since I was 12ish.
-When I was young and a size 7, and my buddies and even my mom was a size 3-5, I felt huge.
-When you are the base as a cheerleader, it puts you in the "not as good as" category.
-As a big girl, you always are cracking jokes, because you need to make fun of yourself, before someone else gets to it.
-When you are big, you assume a lesser role by not being the threatening, cute friend.
-I was yelled at in the parking lot at Fry's once by a car of teenage boys, "Fat @*$%$#@", and at first I was mad, and then embarassed.
I realize that I am the one who has defined myself this way, I am sure that we all do this to ourselves. I'm not throwing myself a pity party, but the comment the girl made is a common "big girl" thought. I know that success will come when I can stop being afraid of being something a little different. I know that I need to change how I define "me".

7 comments:

Stefanie said...

Well said. It's true though. We function perfectly fine in our big girl shells don't we? Why is it so hard to break them?

Marianne said...

What you are saying is so true. For me it is being shy and quiet and nerdy. I am not nearly as shy as I used to be, I will probably always be quiet and I still feel like a big dork most of the time.

The Alma Oliphants said...

Kellie,
That was an epiphany for me. I am the "fat girl". What will I do if I'm not her anymore? I don't know how to be thin. That gives me something to think about. I need to be ok with changing myself.
Thanks for the insight.

Andi said...

It is scary. But, you can be the healthy you and push yourself farther than you ever thought possible! I've worked very hard trying not to worry about being "skinny", just focusing on how strong my body can become. There are days though, when it all creeps back up and I beat myself up.

Size 7?? All I can say is I was a size 8 once (maybe for a day?), but I don't think it's possible for me to be any smaller... only if I never ate and ran a marathon every week.

Ashlie said...

Well I think you're fabulous whatever size you are Kellie. You're just a fun person to be around. As for the teenage boys in the parking lot . . . I sure wish there were more parents that cared about how their kids are turning out.

I've got a bunch of weight to lose so keep motivating me with your success. I love how honest you are about the whole process. I hate running and it's like torture when I do. I loved how you said in a prior post that you need people to see you and recognition to keep motivated. I can't tell you how many times, unrelated to the conversation, people have managed to wedge in that they worked out. It always makes me smile. Keep up the good work girl!

kidding...right? said...

Oh... I'm really mad at those teenage boys right now and I don't even know who they are.

My definition of you would be:

Super cute, funny girl with awesome hair! :)

Channi said...

Kellie!!! You have NEVER assumed a lesser role by not being the threatening, cute friend, in my book!! You have always been so beutiful and talented to me and miss you!! But I know what it's like to be the 'big girl', first in my younger years as the 'tall girl' and now I AM the big girl and I found myself thinking 'I am fime with my body the way it is, if only I could drees to make it look cuter.' I know crazy, crazy me!!!