The other day I was in Dillards buying a purse. The lady offered to go get some scissors so she could cut the tag off, I almost offered outloud that I had a pocket knife and that I could do it. Before I said it, I imaged myself being taken down in the Accessories Department by a security guard, and so I kept my mouth shut.
Today, I was going through my purse to find some lip gloss and came across ear plus. The spongy kind you stick in your ear when you go shooting. This led me to reflect on my being a "Diesel Wife".
I gave that name to myself a while ago. A diesel wife, as opposed to a corvette wife, doesn't wait for her husband to come home to help her hang a curtain rod, move furniture upstairs, or replace a wall mounted electric bath fixture. She has gone to the city dump by herself (that was probably bad judgement now that I think of it).
She has hung beadboard and chair rail, painted whole rooms, and trimmed trees before her husband gets home from work (generally not noticing that she even did these things). She knows the difference between a circular and a reciprocating saw is, and the things that a shotgun can do verses a rifle.
Don't get me wrong, I have ALWAYS wanted to be a corvette wife, I just came down the line from other diesel wifes, and so it is natural. I have envied the corvette wife's ability to be soft spoken and beautiful, and I can appreciate that other women can do it so well. Although, in today's world you CAN be both, a hybrid if you will. Just not at the same time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Cute blog. Glad you found ours. I totally knew Fermun Sullivan - he was the general contractor for our house. I was also friends with his granddaughter Stephanie Sullivan. What is your connection?
You are only a diesel wife because of your handy dandy daddy. Give credit where credit is due. HA!
I love my diesel daughter
I think I'm pretty independent, but not quite a diesel wife.
Definetly not a corvette wife... not even close.
Please don't tell me that it makes me a mini-van wife!
Post a Comment