Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Kellie Farrell-Christian and Mormon, sorry if thats offensive to some

OKAY.....
In my social work/group work class, we are a melting pot of sorts. Some with tattoos, some that smoke, some married, some Christian, and some not.
I am totally cool with that. Not cool with having to walk through the smokers outside, but generally, I like everyone and like my class.
There is one lady in particular who said has been vocal about her belief in Christ, how her faith is important to her, etc. I thought in the beginning that maybe she was laying it on a bit thick, but I also secretly admired her for being so brazen about professing her belief. Other than that, a couple people have said that they have taught catechism(sp?), went to church, and defined themselves as "child of God" when asked the question "who are you?"
Certainly not talking in tongues, singing praises and shouting Hallelujah.
Theres a reason why I told you that, hang in there....
One day, we played a game where you had to write down a "would you rather" question for someone else to pick. Like would you rather eat a booger, or sing in public...you get the picture. When I drew a paper, my script was "I would rather not hear Christians prattle on about their beliefs in class". Huh. I guess this person thought they would rather ruin the game in order to get their point across, cowardly on a unsigned paper, but nonetheless.
I knew who wrote this. He is someone who has talked about their past addiction, and I very quickly got the vibe that he had a chip on his shoulder.
Well, today, he took it upon himself to declare to the class during his personal review that he was sick of the ego-christ attitude in class, and didn't want to hear about christian faith, etc, etc.
He went on very loudly, for a couple minutes.
Have you ever had that heartburn, heart racing, flop sweat, mind racing feeling when someone was saying something that bothered you? Yeah, that was me.
So, at the very end of class, my professor asked if anyone else had anything to add. "Yes", I heard myself say.
I turned to Michael. I told him that the tattoos he wears are a symbol of what he believes. Christians are a people that beleive that their very fiber is their faith in Jesus Christ. We don't necessarily have a marking indicating that, and so it sometimes comes out in conversation.
I told him that I was sorry that he made a CHOICE to be offended by Christian beliefs. I make a choice to NOT be offended that I have to LOOK at those tattoos, walk through choking smoke, or listen to rehab stories. I am actually inspired weekly by his and others courage to oversome the suffocating grasp of addiction. The thing is, I have not heard Michael say one thing he BELIVED in, only what he didn't want to HEAR from others.
There are many in this world whose MOTIVE is to squash others BELIEFS, instead of asserting ones of their own.
I don't care if you worship the sun, Buddha, Allah, or Mary...to be honest, I like hearing what makes you YOU.
I was shaking, SHAKING. He actually was responding VERY loudly, I guess he thinks that the louder he talks, the more compelling his arguement.
After class, several people came up to me and thanked me for saying what I said.
I realize that religion doesn't have a place in certain places, including school. I realize that I also will not be able to help others in the field of social work, and may need to refer them to somene else because of what I believe.
But, NO ONE can tell me how to define myself, or talk. Jesus Christ is the example for how I think, speak, and act. The very makeup of my physical body. I will never act in HIS name to be hurtful, or argue belief systems. I will not engage in bible bashing. But, I will NOT censor myself to appease one who is being hateful.
Satan wants so very much for the disciples of Christ to keep their mouths shut.
No, I will not.

The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;
That soul, through all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, I'll never, no never,
I'll never, no never, no never forsake!

How Firm a Foundation

10 comments:

tracy said...

YAY for you Kellie! As I read, I could actually picture and hear you in class turning around to "bear testimony" in a way to everyone...and I wanted to clap at what you had to express!! You put a "hug" around my heart, and I'm proud to call you friend and sister. You go girl!

Angie said...

I applaud your courage! I second what Tracy said...You Go Girl!!

Channi said...

AMEN!!!!

Miss SassyLaLa said...

wow you are awesome, but of course I already knew that. People are so quick to be negative, nice to hear someone proud to be positive.

Hugs to you

Heather said...

You are AMAZING!

Unknown said...

You were an awsome child, I always knew you were a special child of God, you have made your Father in heaven joyful today. We are so pleased he gave you to us, for eternity. Proud to be your mom.

Kris said...

Check you out, sista! That must've been so hard, you are an awesome example for me. Miss you!

Mindi said...

Just reading that I feel so nervous for you. That is awesome that you could stand up and bear testimony. One thing I love about you is how you can say what you feel so beautifully. I would have got my words all twisted around and probably would have ended up crying. I feel the same as Tracy. So glad you are my friend and sister!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ashlie said...

You go Kellie! You're awesome!